How Does Winter Affect EV Range?
Your new electric vehicle is a joy to own! No more oil changes, radiator flushes, and rattling noises that might come from a loose engine part. And the cost to charge your EV is a lot less than the price of gas as you travel along Anderson roads or take a cross-country vacation.
The team at Greg Hubler Hyundai wants you to get the best from your no-gasoline ride. That’s why we want you to understand how winter affects electric cars when cold weather sets in and you need to heat your cabin.
To ensure you can utilize most of your electric vehicle battery range in the wintertime, the experts at Greg Hubler Hyundai will cover everything you need to know so you can keep moving forward!
What Impacts Electric Vehicle Battery Range in the Winter?
As temperatures plummet, your electric vehicle battery requires more energy to move the car during your Yorktown commute and to use the heater to keep you warm inside. Studies have shown that using your electric vehicle’s cabin heater lowers the battery range by 41 percent. Batteries on electric cars in cold climates can use around 20 percent of power just to get heated properly to work. For these reasons alone, you’ll want to pay closer attention to the charge on your electric vehicle. Make sure you use best practices so as not to drain your battery too fast or be too far away from a charging station in the winter.
Tips to Maximize Electric Vehicle Battery Range in the Winter
Just because the winter months are challenging for electric vehicles in cold weather, that doesn’t mean you can’t get the most out of your vehicle in Yorktown. Discover some tips on how to conserve your electric vehicle battery power while keeping your car heated:
- Keep your car parked in a garage throughout the colder months if possible. This will keep your battery warmer. Do electric cars lose charge when parked? Not necessarily, but it will take more electricity to get your car going.
- Set a charging time for your vehicle using your mobile app.
- Slow down. Use one-pedal driving, meaning only the accelerator and easing on the pedal to slow down, when possible to reduce the amount of power used as you drive and brake.
- Preheat your vehicle when it’s still plugged in at your house.
- Change the heat settings so as not to waste battery power. Make the warm air as cool as you can tolerate.
- Always keep your car charged at a minimum of 50 percent so reserve power can heat the battery before starting it.
- Utilize standard heat settings that target the driver and passengers directly.
- Inflate your tires to the proper pressure for better battery performance.
- Use “ECON-modes” to reduce the amount of energy sent to the motor and heaters.
- Have a backup plan for long road trips. Know where the nearest charging station for when it’s time to recharge.
Learn More About Electric Vehicle Care for Any Season
Now that you know how your electric vehicle battery range is affected during colder months, discover more ways to care for your electric car in winter at Greg Hubler Hyundai.
Marion drivers find the right new electric vehicle for sale with our various new vehicle specials. Need to prep your car for winter? Check out our service specials and coupons to keep your vehicle running in top shape. Contact us or call 765-722-4323 today for more information. We’re happy to help in any way!
More from Greg Hubler Hyundai
The Hyundai Santa Cruz has been a reliable truck loved by Anderson drivers for years. While it’s smaller in size compared to other trucks, its large performance and incredible features make it a worthy consideration. A common desire amongst truck drivers in Yorktown is a fuel efficient vehicle that eliminates frequent gas station stops….
Muncie drivers love the 2023 Hyundai Palisade for its head-turning appeal and powerful engine performance, but what do you know about the 2023 Hyundai Palisade interior color options and amenities? Follow along below as Greg Hubler Hyundai explains the 2023 Hyundai Palisade Limited interior and color options, and contact us when you’re ready to take a…
If you’re looking for a stylish new compact sedan in the Anderson area, you’ve come to the right place! At Greg Hubler Hyundai, we pride ourselves on a wide variety of Hyundai vehicles in all shapes and sizes. Whatever your budget and lifestyle, we’re confident you’ll find something to match your unique needs in our lineup!…